Monday, April 29, 2013

Dear wonderful family and friends,

I hope that each of you is having a great day and a fantastic week! 

This last week was an incredible one for me and my companion, with a lot that happened and a lot that we did.

This week our apartment got new furniture. Two more desks, two more beds, two more chairs. It appears that all is prepared for two more sisters to move in, but we don't know when that will be.

We also had a Sisters' leadership meeting this week. We received training in preparation for new leadership assignments that Sisters in the mission will soon be receiving to help facilitate the training and integration of many more sister missionaries into the mission. 

Hermana H and I had an incredible week as far as teaching went. We continued to find more people to teach and we also set goals with four more people for their baptisms. There are currently five people that we are teaching who are preparing to be baptized in May and June: Josefa, Bere, Maria, Oscar, and Luis. Please pray for us and them! One thing that really stood out to me as we taught and as I studied this week is the power of praying specifically. When one of Heavenly Father's children shows enough faith in him to ask for a specific answer to a specific question or to ask for specific help with a problem, he blesses them. He gives them the answer or the help that they need. For example, Oscar knelt down with us this week and asked our Father in Heaven if Joseph Smith was a prophet and if the Book of Mormon is true. And after he did, he and his girlfriend described the wonderful feelings they felt as the Spirit testified to them of the truth. Heavenly Father granted them an immediate response to their specific question as they asked in faith. I saw another example in the scriptures as I read from the Book of Mormon in the book of Ether this week about how the brother of Jared asked for specific help from the Lord--that he would touch stones and make them shine to provide light for their boats for their journey across the ocean. I was so impressed as I realized that asking for that specific help was the way that the brother of Jared exercised faith described to him by the Lord thus: "never has man come before me with such exceeding faith as thou hast."

Sister H and I have also seen blessings as we've been praying more specifically for those we teach this week. I know that specific prayer brings great miracles and blessings.

Last night our branch had a movie night where we watched Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration. We'd been planning it for over a month, and everything turned out great! It was awesome to see how a couple of the youth brought their non-member friends. There is indeed power in member missionary work, and it is great to be able to provide the members with less-threatening opportunities to introduce their friends to the gospel. 

Yesterday Hermana H and I also had the opportunity to teach the 14 to 15-year-old Sunday School class, and were able to teach them the message of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and then invite them to share their testimony and a pamphlet with one of their friends and practice with them how to do it. It was so rewarding to see how excited they were to have us come to their class and also their excitement, especially of some of them, to share with their friends. Heavenly Father is preparing them to be great missionaries in the near future!

Thank you all for your support and especially your prayers on my behalf. I appreciate all you do for me and for each other. Please continue to pray for me and I would ask that you pray this week specifically that I may be able to develop greater charity for my companion and the others whom I serve.

Thank you!

I love you all.

Sincerely,
Hermana Brighton

No comments:

Post a Comment